By Jousie Rishmawy de Maalouf
Approximately 50 small “dolmas”.
- 1 can of chick peas
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 ¼ cup of rice, washed and drained
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed Mediterranean spices (7 spices)
- 6 tablespoons dried mint leaves
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar of grape leaves
- Mix all ingredients.
- Line the bottom of the cooking pot with pieced grape leaves.
- Fill each grape leaf with 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Roll carefully and tightly as shown in the picture.
- Place the dolmas in the pot in layers.
- Place 5 pieces of garlic in between layers, and cover with tomato slices. Sprinkle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Fill with water enough to cover them.
- Cover with a heat resistant plate in order to hold them in place. This will keep them tightly folded without floating and unraveling.
- Once the water boils, lower the heat and cook for approximately one hour. Do not cover.
- You may eat hot or cold.