I’ve been meaning to bake some chocolate cupcakes since Valentine’s day. I finally got my act together and made these, a month later. They are so easy to make and SO good.
yields 12 cupcakes
1 cup organic soymilk
1 tsp. organic apple cider vinegar
½ cup organic agave nectar
1/3 cup organic shortening
1 ½ tsp organic vanilla extract
1 cup organic all purpose flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. sea salt
1 cup Equal Exchange semi-sweet organic chocolate chips – great for snacking as well
…. and Fair Trade!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl; set aside for a few minutes for the milk to curdle.
- Add the agave nectar, shortening, and vanilla extract and beat together.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to the wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into cupcake liners or molds, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
* Optional, but yummier- top with chocolate peanut butter frosting and/or a scoop of vegan ice cream.
*I used my 12-cup non-stick silicone cupcake mold.