One of my best friends has been suffering from depression and I want to help her.
We all have problems; health problems, work problems, financial problems, relationship problems, family problems… every one has problems, one way or the other. Problems are a part of life.
It’s the way you respond to life challenges that will help you become happier in life.
This is a TO-DO list I’ve made for her before she goes on prescription antidepressants:
1. Exercise every day if you can- I walk everywhere, to the store, to the bank, I mean everywhere. Get some sunshine while you’re at it and so you’ll get the Vitamin D you need to increase serotonin in your brain.
2. Think positive and surround yourself with positive people. Laugh and be with whoever makes you smile, often.
3. Eat healthy- Follow a plant-based diet. Make sure to eat green leafy vegetables, vegetables, fruit, beans, and fortified grains which contain folate. Folate is a B vitamin that is often deficient in people who are depressed. These foods are also high in magnesium. Magnesium is needed for serotonin production. Stress depletes magnesium. Snack on cashews. As I’ve said before: “2 handfuls of cashews is the therapeutic equivalent of a prescription dose of Prozac” . Have a piece of dark chocolate. Dark chocolate raises your endorphin levels, which elevate your mood, and it also increases serotonin production. Great antidepressant.
4. Listen to music- music is an amazing stress reliever (play Don’t worry be happy, right now and sing along- you’ll see what I mean). Jam it on!
5. Sleep well. Getting enough sleep will make you a happy person and vice versa. Happy people get better sleep. Try to stay calm and worry less. (A well-spent day brings happy sleep. Leonardo da Vinci )
Live as if now is all there is. Because it is.
Have a wonderful day!